Friday, 29 April 2011

Lest We Forget - Subversion (2011)


ALBUM REVIEW
I'll have to be honest and sometimes honesty hurts, but it's been a while since I've heard anything from any new band and I've actually liked it. Until the day I got an email about Subversion. I'd never heard of this band before so the first thing I do is to give it a listen on Facebook and well, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. So when I got a hold of their CD it went straight in the player for a first proper listen! Many plays later I am finally ready to say that this could be one of the bands that will shape the UK metal scene in the future. The ideas are really good and the execution is flawless. The production level is amazing for a debut album and it just sounds really really heavy. The interchanges and the quality of the vocals is excellent while drums, guitars, keys and bass are extremely tight between them and create a great energy and superb atmospheres. The only minor part is the sound of the kick drum which is some times a bit too dry and very trigger like, which reminds of a simple sound recording software plug-in. Also the album is not very fluid. It feels that sometimes it is kind of stumbling and after a few listens it can get a bit boring on some parts. The album also has a war theme going on, with many samples from war scenes, which is nice but makes it, I believe, suitable for listening only if your mood allows it. However, in general this is an excellent effort from Subversion and I really can't wait to see if they are going to sound as good as this when they play live in a few weeks, here in London!
Our favourite track is probably Treason (Beyond Forgiveness) which really has some nice technical riffs and an amazing chorus which really sticks to your head! Also noticeable is the very nice So Many, So Few which is an incredible instrumental piece most probably inspired by the 1940 Churchill speech, which you can partially hear at the end of the track. The track would be a perfect soundtrack for any war film! I can just picture it!!!

Lest We Forget: 8/10

Posted by Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment