Thursday, 26 May 2011

Rush - 25 May 2011 (O2 Arena)


I was really looking forward for this gig since I've been listening to Rush since I was 15 or 16 and had since only seen them live through the Rush in Rio DVD. Rush has been on tour since 2010 with the Time Machine tour which features their 8th studio album Moving Pictures. The gig kicked of with an amusing little video with some nice arrangements of The Spirit of Radio in various different musical genres. The band came on with great energy, just as expected, and the fans really went for it! I have to mention that for this gig I was not on the floor area of the arena but on Level 4 which is the highest point of the arena where the view on the crowd is amazing! For the first set of the show Rush went through a variety of songs from a selection of their albums as well as a couple of songs from their new album said to be released by the end of the year! The second set was all about Moving Pictures. With legendary songs like Tom Sawyer and YYZ it was an absolute delight to hear this album live! Following Moving Pictures, Neil Peart(Drums) showcased and re-affirmed that he is one of the best drummers out there with an amazing drum solo! Not only his is technically great, he also has a musicality within him that really makes him stand out from any other drummer on earth. Then came what is probably my favourite Rush song: 2112!!Naturally the whole 20 minutes song wasn't performed but we still got to witness Part I and Part II which is good enough to me! For the encore the band performed the brilliant La Villa Strangiato and Working Man which were just perfect to end the show! In general the show was great! Lots of lights, nice video effects and a few pyros were just what was needed. However I was slightly disappointed with the gig. The sound, up where I was, was not as good as it should had been. When Geddy Lee(Keys, Bass, Vocals) played keys and used the bass from the synth, it was just too loud and was covering the whole band and this unfortunately spoiled a few great songs such as Tom Sawyer. Also the ambience on the top floor was not very warm and I was expecting more sing-along parts but it just didn't happen. To conclude, yes I am slightly disappointed from the Rush gig but nevertheless it was a great show and I will give them another shot when they cross the Atlantic again!

Rush: 18.5/20
Sound: 4/5
Ambience: 4.5/5
Presentation: 5/5
Performance: 5/5

Posted by Nick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment